UKtong is the place where you can find all the information you need about UK Universities, boarding schools, prep schools and student life in general. All in one place!

Medical advice for anyone moving to the UK

Medical advice for anyone moving to the UK

By Uktong Team 10/19/2017

When you're moving to any new county, especially for a longer period of time, it's crucial that you are prepared in case any accidents or medical problems happen. There is a strict process you'll need to follow in order to insure you can get free medical treatment in the UK.
1. EEA citizens - you are entitled to full coverage health care that's paid by the NHS. However, you have to get your European Health Insurance Card and provide it as proof.

2. Non-EEA students and citizens - if you want to access full medical NHS treatment for free, you must follow certain procedures before arriving to the UK and right after you get there.

- when applying for your visa you'll have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. As an international student you're required to pay 150£ per year and in all other cases 200£ per year. You can calculate you IHS costs here.

- when applying, you'll have to provide the start and end date of your stay/ university course and they could ask you for your passport number, type of visa and email

-you must pay the full price up front and you can only pay by debit or credit card

-when you arrive you'll have to register with a GP (General Practitioner) at your local health center. For students, the health centers will probably organize a registration session during the 1st week of the academic year/course.

-the registration is always free and all you need to do is bring all of the previously mentioned documents. You can find your local health center by clicking here.

You might still be required to pay for certain services like dental treatments, prescriptions and eye tests. It's best to check if you're eligible for help with health costs

By UKtong Team 10/19/2017UKtong Info